Please LOGIN to explore Avaricia. Don't have an account? REGISTER

Avaricia Forums » Announcements » Old 2008 Base Removal

Bobbi
Lead Admin

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:02 pm  

We are now over 90% complete converting items to the current bases. In preparation for things to come, the original bases will be removed very, very soon!

1. There will be no changes to your inventories.

2. With exception that we went through and made sure a few discontinued items were to be replaced with their better counterparts. This only applies to two or three very early items that we'd overlooked.

3. All members who are still using the old base will be automatically converted to the current bases. All record of the old graphics will be removed and will only live on in our memories and perhaps on an info/history page.

As of July 28th, you can no longer switch between bases!

Last edited by Bobbi on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:24 pm; edited 4 times in total  

Hey! Don't forget to join Avalyss Alpha testing! Even if you can't commit much time, that's fine! We need all playing styles!

Kaderin Triste

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:02 pm  

I have to say, I'm gonna be a little sad to see the original bases go away permanently.
But I do have a couple old avatars saved, so I can look at them and reminisce.
XD

Super exited about all the item conversion though!

Bobbi
Lead Admin

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:15 pm  

I know they hold a great deal of nostalgia for some people. But as the artist, I'm happy to see them go away. Sometimes you look at something you made in the past and begin critiquing it so much that you can no longer stand to look at it. Except you're looking at it for 10 years and realize what a pain those bases made everything. XD

Hey! Don't forget to join Avalyss Alpha testing! Even if you can't commit much time, that's fine! We need all playing styles!

Kaderin Triste

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 pm  

Tbh, I mainly like to get a giggle over how hunch-backed caveman-ish they look. Especially compared to the current ones.
But there will always be some genuine nostalgia mixed in as well.
This was probably the first site after I started exploring places other than Gaia where I really felt welcome and was able to chat. Granted, I mostly chatted with just a few people, but it was a warmer community than a lot of others, so I'll miss the original/first avatars, but I also welcome the change and updates that we get.

Bobbi
Lead Admin

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:46 pm  

I feel like if I could go back in time and give myself all these current graphics and items, give Dogcow all his files (so he doesn't need to create them again) Ava would've really taken off big time. But alas, I don't have a time machine. We must make do!

Kaderin Triste

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:58 pm  

I don't know, it's hard to predict whether it would have been more successful or not. Unfortunately, a lot of sites like this have since failed for a variety of reasons. I feel that, regardless of the avatars/graphics/items, a lot of the struggle has been because of the rapid development of social media. Suddenly there was a faster way to communicate with everyone, and forum sites in general started to die out. Granted, had this base been the original first base, there wouldn't necessarily have been such a prolonged item conversion, but life issues that came up for a lot of people still would have occurred and social media still would be around, so while there might be more regulars around, it's possiblr that the events that have slowed Avaricia down still would have occurred.

But that's just my fatalistic view on it. XP

I do hope that we can revive this place. I've been lax about keeping active on here and, unfortunately, the few friends that I've tried to bring over haven't stuck around, but there's still hope.

DogCow
Lead Developer

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 am  

I removed dual-base AIS changes from March 2010. Just the code is removed; the database and old avatars are still there. I will resave all the old avatars later.

This means that you can no longer change between bases.

Moof!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Avaricia Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1