Please LOGIN to explore Avaricia. Don't have an account? REGISTER

Avaricia Forums » Announcements » New Avaricia Site Information and Updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Spork Queen
Assistant Admin

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:41 pm  

Hmm. What could that be,

DogCow
Lead Developer

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:01 am  

It must be a secret to everyone.

Moof!

Bobbi
Lead Admin

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:00 am  

I have a small preview for everyone.

Here's a quick WIP peek at our new layout (morning theme)

There's some issues I want to correct like the currency being to the right of the avatar and it looks a little funny just "floating" there. Need to do a few touch-ups in mobile as well (mobile needs the logo in the navbar)

But otherwise, I'm pretty sure I can get this layout done within the next 6 weeks or so. It'd be sooner if I didn't have a convention that I'm vending at coming up in about 2 weeks.

Hey! Don't forget to join Avalyss Alpha testing! Even if you can't commit much time, that's fine! We need all playing styles!

LadyNight

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 am  

Hi Bobbi,

A few comments regarding the layout mock-up:

1) I love the font design for "AVA". It looks gorgeous, clean, and crisp.

2) The avatar feels like it is floating, which (at least to me) is weird. It looks great on the mobile, but on the website its seems out of place. Kind of like an afterthought. For some reason, with the current site, I don't mind the avatar's placing. Even though it is "floating" as well, it has the illusion of being of "solid ground" (if that makes sense). If the avatar (in the mock-up) was positioned similar to the mobile or given an official location within the layout, that would be more ideal.

3) I assume the leaf background is a placeholder? If not, I would recommend matching the art style to the sky background. Having realistic images against a more abstract background reminds me too much of old website styles, and it also feels mismatched to the primary design of the avatar site.

4) In regards to the overall layout, it's nice. But I think it could be refined a little more. Something like this example https://cdn.designsmaz.com/wp-content/uploads/best-responsive-phpbb-themes/milk-multipurpose-responsive-phpbb-31-theme.jpg would give it that sleek, modern look.

Anyway, it's exciting to see Avaricia get an update Smile

Bobbi
Lead Admin

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:21 pm  

The design isn't quite set in stone!

I liked the idea of the leaves because I added an interesting effect where they scroll over a fixed background. But I'm having difficulty moving the Avatar anywhere else as it is. So it'll probably change.

I want to evoke the idea of it being a world rather than a "forum". While the other layout posted is very clean and nice it doesn't quite give a feeling of interest other than "here's a forum it works on your phone", if you get what I mean.

The trouble is that the last time I really designed anything for this site was in a time where everyone had set screen resolutions and mobile was a luxury. So there's a lot I need to learn and figure out because my usual methods don't work with mobile-first frameworks.

Another complication is that there is simply a lot to put in here and every bit of UI has to be tweaked to be mobile friendly. Right now, a majority of this site just sort of "functions" in your browser but the design isn't that great. Honestly a lot of it was rushed.

So while I really want to make the site look *nice* overall in design, greater time has to be put into making the core features work on mobile with ease. There are a lot of features coming over that are from Dogcow's site. However, these are designed in an "old web" style as well. So I have to pick apart each detail and make everything look uniform.

There's also some developments that myself and the staff are working out the details of. I can't really get into depth with it at this point because it's hinging on a limited-time frame window. But I will say that it will impact how much of the site is redone and in what amount of depth. It will make a difference in if it functions and is useable in mobile or if more work is put into making it "pretty" so to speak (shop NPCs, and greater attention to fine detail). Either way, the redesign is coming and we're aiming for fall.

Hey! Don't forget to join Avalyss Alpha testing! Even if you can't commit much time, that's fine! We need all playing styles!

Rainbow000Pegasus

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:43 pm  

Bobbi wrote:
The design isn't quite set in stone!

I liked the idea of the leaves because I added an interesting effect where they scroll over a fixed background. But I'm having difficulty moving the Avatar anywhere else as it is. So it'll probably change.

I want to evoke the idea of it being a world rather than a "forum". While the other layout posted is very clean and nice it doesn't quite give a feeling of interest other than "here's a forum it works on your phone", if you get what I mean.

The trouble is that the last time I really designed anything for this site was in a time where everyone had set screen resolutions and mobile was a luxury. So there's a lot I need to learn and figure out because my usual methods don't work with mobile-first frameworks.

Another complication is that there is simply a lot to put in here and every bit of UI has to be tweaked to be mobile friendly. Right now, a majority of this site just sort of "functions" in your browser but the design isn't that great. Honestly a lot of it was rushed.

So while I really want to make the site look *nice* overall in design, greater time has to be put into making the core features work on mobile with ease. There are a lot of features coming over that are from Dogcow's site. However, these are designed in an "old web" style as well. So I have to pick apart each detail and make everything look uniform.

There's also some developments that myself and the staff are working out the details of. I can't really get into depth with it at this point because it's hinging on a limited-time frame window. But I will say that it will impact how much of the site is redone and in what amount of depth. It will make a difference in if it functions and is useable in mobile or if more work is put into making it "pretty" so to speak (shop NPCs, and greater attention to fine detail). Either way, the redesign is coming and we're aiming for fall.

Maybe something related to the story? Like the BG or area, whether it be hills or plains or grassland... I'm always a sucker for ruins ahah...

Fauxreal
Assistant Admin

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:43 pm  

Who isn't a sucker for ruins!?

Never moon a werewolf.

Bobbi
Lead Admin

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:36 am  

I'll have some updates to post and new screenshots to share shortly. Smile

Although I didn't make any changes to the leaves background, I did add some visual features to the footer. The leaves and the other details will not appear in mobile. Overall, I don't want to go too graphically heavy for this, but I want it to feel more like you're being immersed in a world rather than coming into a forum website.

The avatar is no longer just floating there, but it has a little control panel and a headshot preview of your Avi.

I'm currently working on redesigning the look of the forums.

Rainbow000Pegasus

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:44 pm  

Also I was seeing the little bullet things beside thread names in "list all threads I've posted" on the left side and I was wondering what they are?

Arikana

Trade
View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:29 pm  

Bobbi wrote:
I'll have some updates to post and new screenshots to share shortly. :)

THIS. This caught my eye. I love me some juicy screenshots.

*tries to squeeze 'em out of Bobbi sooner than later* >_>;;

A throwback to all my first items. ^^ (Plus an error. 😂)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Avaricia Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10